Saturday, April 14, 2007

Quiet Yet Funny!!!

I love working saturdays!!

I have so much fun with Emily and Laura, we just chat an laugh all day when it's quiet in the shop like it is today...

For those of you who are not faniliar with equine sporting, today is the Aintree Grand National. This is a wholse series of races all weekend, culminating in the big race today, and is a big event for racing fans, the country, and Liverpool.

Here's a link to some racing stories if you're interested.

Unfortunately, it's also about half a mile down the road from where I live, which means I will have to fight my way onto a train to get home from work tonight at the station. *sighs*

It is not an unusual site to see hundreds, nay thousands of very poshly dressed people walking past my road, and all our local pubs to be spilling out their customers onto the pavement like vomit from a night out drinking gone mad...

Think of a major world cup football match, and just dress them nicely, that's about the size of it.

The weekend starts for racing on Thursday, which is Ladies Day, the (slightly) sexist day for women to come in their best frocks and silly hats to the first race. I personally had to walk home from my local station to my house with my eyes on the floor all the way... It was that bad!!

Beautiful ladies everywhere, in their hundreds dressed up to the nines, and all or most probably slightly drunk, judging by the wobbly walks. (and some of those dresses you should DEFINITELY not wobble in, let me tell you!!)

Ah well.

Here's to fighting through hordes of people to get home!!

1 comment:

  1. Fun fun ... My sister Page is an equine fanatic. Every spring for the last four years she's cursed the uni for having graduation exercises on the same day as the Kentucky Derby. It quite maddens her. I find it amusing. :p

    We only have sulky races here in Maine, I think. There's a track called Scarborough Downs. We do like to recycle our English town names. :) And often at the state and agricultural fairs in the summer they have sulky races.

    We took Adrienne to the Skowhegan fair when she was here, and we watched a few races--and we nearly had to tie Page to the bleachers so she wouldn't go down and place a bet! Ha ha. They wouldn't have let her in anyway as she was still, just barely, under 21.

    ReplyDelete