Saturday, April 21, 2007

Blimey!!

I have such a flippin' bad voice!!

Lol I received the first of my vocal training cd's in the post today, and I've gone through it twice, and I've realised how rubbish at singing I really am!!

Half of the excercises I reached the end of them and found:

  1. I don't breathe properly when I sing, I must breathe and sing from my lungs not my diaphram!! - I ran out of breath three quarters of the way through some of the excercises...
  2. I don't annunciate or pronounce sounds and vowels properly!! - Some of the excercises I was having trouble distinguishing nue from nee, and I was struggling with making a distinction between "me" "mommy" and "mammy" when sing Arpeggios...
  3. My timing is awful on coming in!! - On some of the excercises I was coming into too late because my singing rythmm was wrong, even though I'd been given a starting note! I found this especially hard when I was singing a full scale with a half scale and when I was singing an "endurance" piece which was notes 1231 up a scale...

Sheesh, this is going to be hard work!!

I'm only on the warm up cd at the moment, but I do the full half hour, so I guess if I do that twice a day for the next three weeks with some singing, and then move onto to the more advanced cd, I'll start getting somewhere... I hope so anyway. All this singing properly lark is hard work lol

I am encouraged that even though I struggled, I did manage to finish all the scales, even though some of them I was in falsetto for. The tutor on the cd says to try an sing them even if they're beyond your range, because singing them expands your range eventually. Apparently it will also give tone and power to your voice, because you're building up your vocal muscles.

I don't know whether I'm struggling because I'm not that good, or because I've not trained my voice before or had singing lessons. We'll have to wait and see, I guess!!

Simon Cowell, here I come!! :p

Hee hee!!

3 comments:

  1. *excited*
    Does this mean more of Hobbs lost in worship on cam ?!

    * smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left you a long comment on here and my internet cut out just before it posted. Dang it!! lol But I wanted to say, keep practicing ... I bet you improve lots within the time you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - I'm pretty sure the vocal chords are just like muscles, you have to train them and use them to build them up, in order to be able to do more extreme things with them!

    Keep at it, I think it's a great idea!

    BRING IT ON Simon Cowell :P

    ReplyDelete