Sunday, September 19, 2004

Lessons Learned...

30 July 2004
Time: 23:22:00 o'clock BST
Author: happyhobbit29
Mood: Sad
Music: Gotta Keep Singing - Mercy me


I'd like to tell you a story about Brad and Harry. (not neccesarily real names)

Brad is my friend. He's nearly 19 years old, but will have the mental age of a 9 year old for the rest of his life. When he was born, he couldn't feed properly, and didn't receive the nourisment that most babies get. The problem was with the oesophagus, which meant that he spontaneously vomited any food that he was fed, due to it contracting. This carried on until he had an operation when he was 6, which was successful, but by this stage he had nort developed properly due to lack of nourishment. He looks like a little old man...

I've known him since he was about 8, and he was in my Sundayschool Class until I quit as a teacher to concentrate on leading worship last year. since then, I've been meeting up with him about once a week, to carry on the friendship, as his mum and dad split up about two years ago, and he doesn't get to see his dad much. He has no real friends as far as I know, and spends alot of time on his own.

Because he stutters so badly people sometimes get impatient with him, and don't bother to let him finish. Even worse, they try to finish sentences for him, leaving him quietly frustrated. For years he's been used to people putting him to the side, ignoring him and sidelining him. I wanted to redress the balance. We've just been to see Thunderbirds, and then went to eat at MacDonalds.

I had a great time, and it was great to hear Brad's comments all through the film, as he got excited, and immersed himself in all the twists and turns of the plot, as only a child can do. It was great to see the excitment in his face, as the "baddies" get beaten, and the good guys win in the end. It was brilliant to hear him shouting encouraging comments to the good guys as they were trying to win, even though he was very loud!!! :-)

Let me tell you about Harry. Harry is a relative. He's been married twice, and unfortunately both of them failed. He's had some problems in his time, most of which were emotional and mental. He's part of a big family, one of 13 brothers and sisters, so I guess in his early years although there wasnt a lot of love to go round, he had the support of his family. His current relationship was living with a schitzophrenic lady who also had similar emotional/mental problems. When he was younger he used to play outside all day with his brothers, up and down the coal pits in South Wales, not worrying about his mother chasing him because they knew everyone in their village, and their mum knew they'd be safe. It was a different world then to today.

Today I found out he committed suicide this morning by hanging himself. He'd reached a stage where depression and other problems wouldn't let go their grip, and from a situation of things being there but under control, to chaos and blackness.

Why I am telling you this?

Because I realised today, that I don't know how God is going to use my words and actions today to influence people. Harry reached a stage in his life where he couldn't cope any more, even thogh there were people around to help him. I realised today that I've got to keep putting myself out for people just like Brad, otherwise they'll end up like Harry, lost and alone...

Jesus said in Matthew's gospel... "

MT 25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, `Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

MT 25:44 "They also will answer, `Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

MT 25:45 "He will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

MT 25:46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

I've learned today that what we do matters, no matter how small. We don't see the effect of what we do, how we treat others, what influence we could have for God. Jesus taught that as we serve and love others, we will love Him more.

What is God going to do with your life today if you let Him?

Who will He influence and show His love to through you?

My family and I are mourning the loss of Harry, but more than that, we are mourning the opoortunities missed, the words never said, the support that could have been given more, the regrets come on and on like a river, threatening to drown us if we let them.

I believe there is a God, and he loves us. Passionately.

That's how He wants us to Love Him, in serving others.

I don't want there to be more Harry's who never had the chance to find out the touch of another's comfort, who never had the chance to discover the amazing fact of God's Love.

I'm determined to do what I can for Richard, because as I share in his life, I'm sharing in My Lord's aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment