Monday, December 27, 2004

Labels

It occurred to me, while I was sitting in MacDonalds, that we've become a very judgemental society as a whole, and we like to keep in our own little groups, anything or anyone that threatens those groups, becomes the outcast, or the outsider.

The lad who I went to the cinema with, is 19 today. He has the mental age of a ten year old most of the time, but it varies. He knows how to laugh, and you can immediately tell when he's happy about something, a big grin splits his face in two!! :-)

The thing is, people label him as "learning disability", so much so that he told me once that is what he's "got". It seems to me, that if you keep telling someone they're something, then, in sone senses, they'll begin to believe it.

I find it funny that because you wear certain clothes, act a certain way, or say certain things, even speak with a certain accent, people immmediately feel they have the right to decide who you are as a person, as if there's no such thing as an individual, there's only "this type" or "that type". In life, I think we like to put people and things into boxes because they're easier to deal with in our own minds.

Hmmm I'm thinking deeply tonight... wonder why?

1 comment:

  1. "I find it funny that because you wear certain clothes, act a certain way, or say certain things, even speak with a certain accent, people immmediately feel they have the right to decide who you are as a person, as if there's no such thing as an individual, there's only "this type" or "that type". In life, I think we like to put people and things into boxes because they're easier to deal with in our own minds."

    Hi! I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying. Such is life though, and as much as I hate to admit it, no matter how much you, I, or the few dozen other people who acknowledge our judgemental society, there's little we can do. So, it seems that the only person who would be important to please then is God...and that's who I'm worried about. I don't care who else judges me in the process.

    --as I read through your blog, I am wishing you luck with your MS treatment. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete