Saturday, June 23, 2007

Day Off? - Not Likely!!

Well today is officially known as my day off, but I plan on it being quiet productive.

I have already been successful in that I managed to get up at 9:10 am, and get showered and dressed in time to get the train in to town for my Optician's Appointment at 11. I had the weird experience of entering a world of blurry fuzzy shapes since I woke up this morning, because of a mistake my Optician made on an earlier visit. *sigh* I'll explain...

About a week ago, one of those tiny little screw that holds your glasses together, and both lenses in place at each end fell out, thus causing on e of the lenses in the frame to subsequently fall out. This would normally not be a major problem, as I can normally find the screw and borrow one of those tiny screwdrivers specially made for glasses and suchlike off my parents.

Unfortunately in this case I could not find where the darned screw had fallen, and after much searching I gave up, and resigned myself to the fact I wasn't going to find it and a trip to the Optician's was in order. I put my contact lenses in and went to work...

That day in work (Tuesday this week) I went to the Optician's and explained what had happenned to the frame, holding out the source of my problem, the offending lens that had fallen out. The optician said "wait her one minute, that's no problem". Unfortunately for her, as she was walking over to another counter to re-affix the lens, she dropped it.

(N.B, one thing you should know about me. I have VERY bad eyesight, and have to have specially made prescription lenses; because of this, they have to be made out of glass, not plastic.)

This being the case, when she dropped the lens, it immediately hit the tiled floor, and.... you guessed it.

It shattered into a thousand tiny pieces.

She lokoed at me with the kind of expression I can only think would be the same expression a deer would maybe have when it was illuminated in the headlights of an oncoming car, just before it was dealt a fatal blow.

She profusely apologised and said she would get a replacement lens straightaway. I smiled, knowing they would have to send off for it, because it what's known as a "complex" prescription. Good to know I have "complex" eyes eh? ;) Anyway I digress....

She confirmed they'd have to send off for a new one to be made, and said they would pay for it, which was good of them considered I'd come in with glasses that needed repairing and ended leaving with no glasses at all!!

Anyway, that brings me right back to my world of fuzziness today. I had an eye examination today, and for those, you can't wear contact lenses beforehand, and obviously not during, otherwise it would be absolutely useless for working out what prescription you need!! So I had to wake up this morning and wander around in a blurred state, get the train in and back from town all in this crazy world of vaguely defined shapes and colours!!

Thankfully, my test results were positive! My stigmatism in my left eye has decreased, partially thanks to the Gas Permeable lenses I wear apparently! My eyesight is better than it was a year and a half ago, which someone with MS is always pleased to hear; and my eye general health is excellent :p

So I returned from town to find an empty house as my sister has gone out and my mum and dad are away in Belfast till monday morning! As soon as I returned I put my lenses in, and was delighted with the power of being able to see again!! I read blogs for a while, and then carried on reading which I've not done much lately and am really enjoying getting back into. (actually "diving back into headfirst" is probably a better description!)

I started a book yesterday, and have read 160 pages and am halfway through already!! I'm really enjoying it!

Anyway, back on to the subject of my day off!!

After reading 100 pages in about an hour and a half, I've decided to take a break and once and for all tidy my bookshelf and room!! I'm also planning to cook, as the house is empty and no-one can laugh at me... (hehe!) I'm going out shortly to buy the ingredients and hopefully later will have cooked three completely different and unrelated dishes: Basil and Tomato Soup, Mushroom Pie, and Chilli Potato Burritos!!

I am off to tidy now... wish me luck!! :p

6 comments:

  1. Crazy man. ;)
    That's great about your eyesight! I didn't know eyesight COULD improve ... :o Or I never thought about it too hard. Or no one ever told me. lol

    I think I'll just come over to your house and let you cook for me. I will just have to turn on the oven here and the others will be fine cuz I aleady prepared the stuff. :p

    Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not fair!!
    The opticians said my eye sight has deteriated and will need a new prescription next time I go.
    How dare you flaunt your better eyesight in front of me! (heehee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't fair...

    I don't even need glasses or contact lenses!

    *feels left out*

    *is pleased really*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like wearing glasses. :p

    and what does this word verification mean: uutpuep

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever notice that you work so much harder on your days off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like wearing glasses they help me look less stupid lol

    ReplyDelete