Thursday, August 16, 2007

Boy Power has it's limitations...

Ok, some clarifying needs to happen!

I have been doing my own washing and ironing for the past ten years, it is not a recent thing, but I decided on that particular day to celebrate it lol

On a more negative note, I've been a bit of a pratt and lost my rail pass, which had my bank card in the back! I rang first thing on Tuesday morning and got it blocked, and the bank assured me a replacement would be with me by Friday or Monday. I hope I get it before I jet off to the states; I do have 'holiday money' already, but I always feel a bit more secure with my card in case of emergencies, etc.

Also, I have had a very old freind start popping into the shop quite regularly (three times so far this week) and chat to me about his problems. This is something Im used to, working where I do, but i am slightly worried because, even though I know I'm not a doctor, I have been sensing something's not quite right with him, and I'm absolutely convinced he is suffering from a form of Paranoid Schitzophrenia. He keeps talking about how he's upset someone "high up" and how people are following him in cars and how strangers seem to be shadowing him, etc. He seems to trust me, and I've tried to be encouraging and not threatening each time he's come in, but I'm a bit worried I might say the wrong thing one day, and he'll flip in the shop and turn violent.

I'm not really sure what to do in this situation. I know he's not on any medication, as he said he was on anti-depressants for a while, and they made him much worse. he really says some scary stuff when he's talking to me though, and it's not your usual christian bookshop nutter stuff about world wide conspiracies; all of the conspiracies centre around him and his day to day life. He doesn't get seen at hospital when he's had an accident, it's because he's upset "them", he gets turned down for a loan, it's because "they" don't want him to get one, etc. It's very worrying, and frankly I feel a bit over my head, and am not sure what to do.

Anyone got any suggestions?!!

7 comments:

  1. thats a difficult situation mate... anyway of fonding out who his GP is and contacting them? I had to do that once with a friend with an eating disorder... they wont discuss it with u but it can be flagged up at a normal appointment. Either that or get in touch with social services as it does sound pretty serious, and he could be a danger to himself and others if it gets worse. u've done what u can then apart from being there to chat to him when he needs it.

    take care and ahave a great trip if i dont message u again b4 u go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hobbitty, that is a tricky one , but in allsituations just cast your cares, let god know you out of your depth on this one and dont know wht to do and ask for his help and im sure he will show you in some way how to deal with the situation next time he or she comes in, have a great trip and give margo a massive scots hug from me , not a scots kiss though as thats a head but haha, and i hope you have grat time xx gbu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooof I dunno what I'd do. I might ask if he wanted to talk to my pastor, but if he's come to you that might mean he isn't going to trust others.

    Hope your bank card comes!!! I'm supposed to get a check this week and I'm narowing my eyes as it's Friday ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd just listen to him and keep an eye on him. If you do anything else, you risk being thought of as one of the ever mysterious 'they'.

    Oh, and you take my advice at your own risk on the full understanding that I am not responsible for any thing caused by you following my advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lilmiss - ty I will remember that :) (and I will make sure she gets the hug and extra ;) :p lol)

    meg - I hope your cheque comes for your sake! I'm hoping the card will be there when I get home from work today... here's hoping!

    nossie - lol! thank you for your advice, I'll keep it in mind but won't sue you I promise!!

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. rach - I'll let you know how it goes!! :p ;)

    *evil cackle*

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ironed a shirt last week. It only took 20 minutes and looked no different afterwards. That's man ironing for you :D

    ReplyDelete