Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Anaphylactic Shock, Tidying and Gaelic!!

Well, here I am again sitting at my desk, ready to give all my eager writers a tasty morsel of the adrenaline-filled adventure that is my life...

Actually... I think I'll just write about my day, that's more believable :p

Well, everything was fine and dandy this morning: I got up, got showered, got dressed, (remembering to put on my "scruffy" boxers, as all my smart and tidy posh ones are packed away!! - as a side note, does anyone else have their best and worst underwear that they wear, or is that just me?! lol) and finished dressing, put my lenses in, and then remembered I hadn't done my usual dose of injections...

I went downstairs and got them out of the fridge, left them to warm up a bit (it hurts more if they're cold!) and then injected as usual, this time using the cold gel pack before and after, like MdMhVonPa had suggested.

Everything was fine, i was a bit sore but all was ok, and I started to finish dressing. I put on my shoes, and suddenly, about a minute after I'd injected, I suddenly got hot, and I mean VERY hot. My whole head felt like it was going to burst with the heat, and I could actually feel the heat coming off of my face. My chest suddenly got extremely tight, and i suddenly found it difficult to breathe.

I realised that I'd had a reactions to the injections, so lay on my bed for a while.

I've been taking this medication for nearly 4 years, and I'd been told in the beginning that a side effect can be a slight anaphylactic shock and tightening of the chest sometimes, and if that happens to go lie down until it subsides. Well, I've only had that happen about 3 or 4 times since I've been taking this, but today was the worst reaction I have ever had.

I really don't know why, the medication was labelled the same, i wasn't any more tired than yesterday when I did it, and I injected myself properly, with the needle gun at the right depth, etc. It was just a one-off weird reaction, but it really threw me, because I wasn't expecting it. It was actually so bad, that I texted my colleague and told her I'd be in late to work as I'd reacted to my medication. I decided I was gonna wait until the tightness in my chest and shallow breathing stopped, which took about twenty minutes. I guess it's the same sensation an asthmatic has during a medium attack.

I just lay there on my bed until it passed, and was thanking my lucky stars that I'd realised what it was, 'cos if I was the panicking type, I could have made it a lot worse by running scenarios through my head!!

On a positive note...

My granny and grandad are coming over on the boat from Belfast tomorrow, cos they're going on holiday with mum and dad on Thursday night to Scotland for five days. It should be a nice break for them, as my grandad hasn't been too well lately, and has been using his wheelchair a lot more as his legs are getting weaker. It'll be good for my granny too, as she still looks after him and pushes him round even though shes got severe angina and a weak heart!! Hopefully mum and dad can take the strain off them a bit and give them a good break :) They're actually going off to celebrate their wedding anniversary (on the 25th when i fly out to the states!!) so I think it's extra nice of them to want to include my granny and grandad in their plans :)

As a consequence of my granny and grandad coming, it's been all hands on deck as we rush around tidying up before they come tomorrow lol! I have already vacuumed the Living Room, Front Room, and the Hall & Stairs, and tidied my own room and vacuumed. (my room isn't finished yet but it's a lot better than it was lol) Thinking about all this tidying, and spending all day yesterday ironing for my holiday, i actually think I've done a whole weeks worth of domesticity in two days this week lol

Gaelic in the title is pronounced "Gal-Ick" as it's Scottish Gaelic not Irish Gay Lick (that sounds rude rofl!!) and it refers to the band I'm Listening to at the moment, an old album of Runrig's, a Scottish Gaelic progressive rock band. I've missed listening to these guys, they're absolutely superb and use Lot's of different instruments, both traditional and modern in their songs. Their albums are usually a mix of Gaelic and English, and even though I can't understand the Gaelic songs, I still enjoy them both lyrically and musically, as they translate the lyrics into English on their album covers. :) Both languages of songs are usually about battles and warriors and historical events and all exciting stuff. They're not heavy rock, so you can hear all the words, and a lot of their music is mellow but powerful if you know what i mean.

Anyway, they're good!

I think this is my longest most rambling post to date so I shall stop here!

7 comments:

  1. GHA! I'm hoping my suggestion did not nearly kill you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is what an asthmatic experiences. I hate it!!! :o Actually that's probably exactly how I feel after I've gone for a run and have an exercise induced attack--if you add shaking from head to toe and feeling like throwing up. (And then sometimes the albuterol makes me feel even more like throwing up cuz sometimes it goes on my tongue instead of in my lungs!) The breathing/chest pain is obnoxious because even if I'm physically fit, I have more limitations than most people.

    Well if you have any reactions while you're here, you are SO taking it easy, mister!!!

    Godspeed to your parents and grandparents on their little vacation. I hope they have a wonderful time. :)

    THREE days!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWW , im glad you realisd what it was, as ,as you said could of been alot worse, hobbit, hehe my grandparents are from n ireland to, they in portadown, and im sure your parents and your grandparents will have a great time here in scotland, we all lovely ppl here ......do u know what braw nicht the nicht means:P x gbu

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol MdMh - it was nothing you suggested, just my body reating to the constant injections that's all. It's given as one of the side effects, though I haven't had it very often thankfully!

    Meg - ouch! that doesn't sound nice at all!! I'll be fine, the allergic reaction only lasts half an hour anyway, if it happens, which it rarely does. :)

    Lilmiss - hehe ;)
    My parents (and for that matter I) love Scotland. We used to go to a campsite when I was younger, up near For William, and we loved the heather-filled countryside, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the thunderstorms and great sheets of rain they seem to have up there quite regularly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, rain is the topic of conversation in my work lol , and Fort William i have heard is beautiful, and actually weird you said that as that is where my parents are looking to move to :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. JM!!!! I cant believe its only 2 days til u go to USA!!

    How are you getting to the airport with your parents away? If you need any help gimme a call.

    Don,t forget to give Meg the biggest hug you can muster from me.

    I would say take it easy in the states but I just KNOW Meg will be keeping a very close eye on you after this episode!

    I will be keeping you in my prayers hun. have a safe journey and I do hope this trip is all you have hoped for! You deserve a good break.

    Love ya bro!
    Kazz

    PS. in case you havent noticed I have been keeping my blog up to date pretty regular this month hehe

    ReplyDelete