Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Romeo I Am Not!! - Jm's Definition Of "Love"

After several discussions, I've decided my views on the nature of love, marriage and all things relationship-wise are very wierd!
Alice and I are gonna be good friends, but not a couple anymore sadly.
I don't believe the Bible teaches anywhere about "being in love" , it teaches about love being something practical that is a decision of the will everyday. Love is proved over time, and grows over time. Every decision you make to put that person first before you, is the proof of your willingness to love them. In essence that's what being "in love" means, not this idea of a warm feeling, or an emotion. The irony of love is that the more you decide to show it, the more you create it! It's a bit like a nuclear reaction I guess? One electron starts off a whole chain reaction.
I know that sounds very scientific and cold , it's not meant to and I actually believe it's very powerful to define love like that. That for me is what love is, and the ultimate expression of that is what God does for us in Jesus.
I am a romantic, I love candlelit dinners and cuddling and kissing and laughing and crying together, etc but in the end that is what I will give to a relationship, that is what it boils down to - a decision to put the other person first and to choose to love that particular person above everyone else.
That's why "true love" in humans is always exclusive to one person.
That's why it's so devastating in a breakup - your decision to love someone else has been rejected because they will not let you love them.
God's love in an amazing way is exclusive and inclusive at the same time, which I don't understand, but just proves how amazing God is!!
I realise most people will disagree with my definition of love, especially when you put my definition in the context of gf/bf, but I believe that is what the Bible teaches.
That's why I think I'm always going to be single lol
Oh well.
Good thing God loves me!!
*runs off to start his own freak club*

No comments:

Post a Comment