Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ouch!

I think I'm going to write to the Guiness Book Of Records for the world's silliest injury.

This weekend I've managed to really hurt my shoulder whilst playing a game on a child's scooter!! (you know the 'push off with one foot' kind)

Last weekend I went away to Shropshire, for our church weekend away. On the saturday afternoon, we splkit into teams and played lot's of circuit games, and the one I injured myself in consisted of trying to go round a circle f obstacles as many times as you could in 2 minutes on a scooter! Not being the type of person to be out-done by the other teams, I went as fast as I could on the scooter round the circle, only to skid on the asphault, (it was a tennis/games court - very hard surface!) and not just fall, but fly over the scooter and bounce several times on the court, eventually making contact with the ground on my right shoulder, and the right side of my face!!

Since then, my shoulder has gone very stiff and painful, and swollen, and I've got a burning sensation whenever I try and lift my arm horizontally higher than my ear level, so I've booked an appointment at the docs today for 11-30. I think I've also pulled or strained the muscle that attaches the neck and the shoulder, because that hurts whenever i move my head as well!!

I'm just glad I had today off to be able to go to the Doctors!!

Anyway, apart from that, it was a brilliant weekend, we followed the theme of Ephesians about loving each other, and the teaching sessions were very powerful, and very challenging. We watched a video about a father and son who do triathlons and marathons together, the son was born disabled, and can't walk or speak, but communicates through a computer. His father literally runs and pushes his specially adapted bike, and boat, and wheelchair, and they've ridden 7,000 odd miles across the states together and taken part (and completed) countless triathlons and marathons together. The whole theme of the video was about the power of Together, and how when we work together, what amazing things can be done when two people work together. It was very emotional to watch it, and it ended by saying that Rick (the disabled son) couldn't compete without his father, and Dick (the father) wouldn't compete without his son. Dick was the force, Rick was the heart. It really finished off the weekend with a really powerful story.

I went on the weekend, wondering if it was a good idea, and left feeling part of a family, feeling part of a community that has God at it's heart. I'm really glad I went!!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment