Monday, October 10, 2005

Made me Think...

I was talking to an elderly customer in the shop today.

He's just retired from playing in his Salvation Army Band, after 45 years. He had to, because he can't walk and play his instrument on the marches anymore, he gets too out of breath. I felt relt both really sorry for him and in awe of him, because he's served God with his gift for that long. I could sense and hear the sadness in his voice as he spoke about it.

He talked about his wife as well, who's possibly going in for a serious operation that he's worried about. You could tell he loved her, and it made me think. We miss so much each day because we refuse to stop and talk to people. God has much to teach us through people, they were the best lessons he ever created. I hope I'm as interesting and inspiring when/if I get to his age.

He mentioned about being in the war, and some of the terrible things he saw. He talked about being sent out as a young soldier in a group of six, with a machine gun each and orders to scout out the area. How terrifying must that have been? He talked about missing the opportunity to go home early, because the guys in the Middle Eastern Front went home first. He went to lot's of different places in the world because of the war, and he told me about one area he went, where the locals didn't believe there was going to be a war. It was 1939, and they were wrong.

I felt I really connected with him today in some strange way, even though our lives and ages were so different, and I would have missed it if I hadn't taken the time to talk.

It reminded me today that all of us are made in the image of God, and no human being is disposable. Would I have been as courageous, standing against an injustice and being prepared to fight for freedom?

I'm glad our paths crossed today, although we didn't share anything else, we shared a connection as fellow human beings, and people who know a Saviour who stays with us in difficult times.

No comments:

Post a Comment