Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ah The Memories... :-)

So, it's a Saturday night, and you're stuck in on your own again, as usual, with your gf hundreds of miles away, and nothing really that good on tv.

What do you do?!

Well...

You relive your teenage years by listening to all your old CD's!!!

:-) *grins*

I've started my evening off by listening to "The Best Of Hue and Cry", released in 1993.

FABULOUS!!!

Starting track to the compilation is one of their most well-known: "Labour Of Love". The last track is a 12" remix of it, and both are great!! Ah, the sweet vocal melodies and funky sounds of the kane brothers!!! They were outstanding in their time, I have to say. I was 13 years old when Labour of Love was released, and actually bought it as part of "NOW VOL 10", later that year, which also featured that famous christmas song by Kirsty Mcall and The Pogues... (surely you must know the one I mean!! Hehe) Anyway, back to Hue and Cry. Greg Kane had such an amazing voice, he could vocally soar between sinatra-like smoothness and pop-power. Some of their live ballads were truly tear-jerking, he had an amazing ability to connect with an audience with just his voice. There are MANY great tracks on this Best Of, I will type my memories associated with these:

"Looking For Linda"

I first heard this when they released it as a single in 1988. We'd moved to Liverpool two years before, and I was still making friends and getting used to my new school. (I'd moved halfway through 1st year, or Year 7, as they like to call it now) I was watching Live and Kicking, on a Saturday morning with Phillip Scholfield and Sarah Greene. (remember that show? lol) I was still only thirteen, and was enthralled to hear the story behind the song. Apparently, at the time they said it was based on a true story about a girl called Linda he'd met on a train from Glasgow, instantly "clicked" with, and never saw again. Very romantic, and full of myth. I actually think now that they may have made that story up to sell the song, but it worked!! lol in my innocent, and naive teenage years, I bought it hook, line and sinker. lol (I'm glad to say, despite what life has dealt me in the past, I'm still a romantic at heart!! - Hence me loving this album now... lol)



"Violently (your words hit me)"

This song is again very romantic, talking about a man being transformed by falling in love. Whether it's with God in a spiritual sense, or a woman, you can't actually tell, because the lyrics could be taken either way. Some of the lyrics talk about the person before they encountered this transforming love, being bitter and cold, and suddenly being changed in their encounter with a transforming love. Great stuff. The melodies are superb as well!



"Ordinary Angel"


In the lyrics, the singer asks for a Love/Vision/Plan that's "...bigger than me..." This was very inspirational to me when I was younger. At the time I was still doing the growing up thing, and the world looked a very frightening place to a pastors kid who was very naive, and very out of touch with his peers. I came from a very different background to everybody else, since 99.9% of my school weren't christians, and didn't really understand what one was, or what the point of church was. Admitting you went to church on a Sunday, was like confessing you had two heads, had been born to aliens, ate poo for breakfast, and washed with a wet kipper everyday!! People just didn't get it. Most of my school years were spent in the company of people who constantly made fun of me, and the way I lived, and the values of my parents. I find it ironic now that they actually made my faith in God stronger, and the adversity /opposition convinced me in a way that no other way could that God was real and loved me. All through senior school I had "friends" who talked behind my back and made fun of me, but who I still put up with, because there was no one else. I'm actually glad of all that now though, because it gave me the grounding I needed to carry on being a Christian in the face of opposition. Anyway, this song reminds me of that time in my life for some reason.

Actually, I'm not gonna write about the other songs, I'll give far too much away about my past and my teenage years!! lol

I'll leave it here for now!!

*happily content*

:-)




No comments:

Post a Comment