Sunday, May 29, 2005

Story

It seems to me, that this is what the Bible (in many different ways) essentially uses to convey truth. I've done alot of thinking lately about the words 'inherent' and 'innerant'. Those of you more knowledgable than me will recognize the line of thinking I'm stumbling down at the moment, somewhat haphazardly.

It seems to me (admittedly in a novice way) that we as 21st century christians get caught up in the whole idea of science v's faith, this world v's otherworldly, natural v's supernatural, body v's soul, and other unhelpful distinctions that arise, I think from platonic, dualistic (as in the greek philosopher) ideals and suggestions.

The whole central issue for creationists in my opinion seems to hang around how you view the concept of 'truth'. Does truth always have to be in a literal sense, or can ideas, and particularly the vehicle of 'story' convey truth in a way that is just as meaningful while not neccesarily being 'literally' true? (I know I'm mixing concepts here, but it's difficult to put into words - it is for me anyway) C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien both stated that Christianity was "the only true myth", I think I know what they mean by that, but how should that affect our thinking?

I'm not claiming to have any answers on anything, but these are questions that I used to ask at uni during my degree, that I buried and have now re-surfaced.

Where do you draw the line in interpreting the Bible? What model or tool of interpretation can you use to decide whether something is 'literally' true or not? I know lot's of Chtistians who interpret Genesis and Revelation as literally and chronologically and historically true. At the same time, I know an equal amount who don't. Who's correct? And, in deciding to use the word 'correct', or 'right', am I already making a personal judgement call instead of looking at the evidence?

Where does context and circumstance fit in? What about original intended listeners? What about historical and cultural background? If we agree the Bible wasn't dictated by God, but that the Holy Spirit inspired these various writers during the course of their writing, shouldn't all the above things matter when interpreting passages?

I really don't know the answers to any of this, but I'm finding it exciting puzzling over them.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment