Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Belfast & Searsport - Our First "Day Trip"

Well, all these photos are from the Bank Holiday Monday, and the first day we really went anywhere in my USA adventure. I thought I'd start with positively the worst photo of me I've ever seen. It really is quite frightening. It was taken outside of "Perry's Nut House" in Belfast, Maine. (yes, you heard right, they're not very original; in the US they keep nicking our place names)

Perry's actually is quite well known other than being a touristy knick knack place and provider of good fudge, it used to have loads of stuffed animals that the previous owner had hunted and shot and stuffed and mounted all around the walls. They still have one or two but most of them were sold off to collectors when new owners took over.

Now the newest owners are trying to restore it's original antiquarian style and are trying to buy them back. However, all i bought from there was fudge. And very good it was too....

This is actually the first photo I took, and of course it's of Meg siting in the lap of a giant stuffed Bear inside Perry's.

After we visited Perry's, we drove down the road to Searsport, which as you can see is a beautiful bit of coastal scenery. Meg and I sat on the rocks and I took some pictures of her siblings searching the rock pools a distance away. (I also managed to sneak a few kisses while they weren't looking. tee hee!)


This is more coastal scenery. It was a very hot and sunny day, it was really nice. However there wasn't any breeze as you would normally experience on a Bank Holiday in the UK...

More coastal scenery.. Sorry I do like my landscapes...

The two tiny figures you can see to the left of the picture are Meg's two younger sisters, Page and Phoebe. (not that you can hardly make them out but there you go anyway!)

More scenery from a different angle... Apparently the white building at the right hand side on the other side of the coast is an Oil Storage Facility!!


This isn't scenery but the sign made me laugh as it was meant to read "Deli Sliced Ham" and because a letter had obviously fallen off it made me laugh lots...

I should have mentioned, before we walked down to the water's edge, we ate a picnic in the parkland up on the cliff, and a friendly furry native came to greet us and nick some of our lunch!! I nicknamed him "Bubba" with a southern american accent, which made everybody laugh...
More american seaside framed by leaves, which I liked...

Nat, Phoeve and page trying to drown themselves jumping from stepping stones near the sea...


It really was pretty there, and it was well worth going, although I didn't get that many photos, because I was too busy mellowing out on the rocks with meg sitting beside me. That was a really, really relaxing day, just the way to start a holiday... :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm loving all these pictures JM! Looks like you all (or y'all) had a great time!

    It's made me jealous and a bit "homesick" for Colorado and visiting my brother!

    You're really good at giving a commentary of what happened - well done for sneaking kisses, how romantiiiiiiiiic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was sitting in the lap of a stuffed moose, not a bear. :p but i'd also like to point out that this moose was synthetic not real!!

    i liked that day a lot too. it was very relaxing altho also very hot.

    ReplyDelete