Thursday, April 14, 2005

Surprising...

It's often said that God uses us at our weakest, because that's when we don't fight Him anymore...

Today was interesting.

I woke up feeling really ill and very very depressed, unwilling to even get out of bed, never mind go to work. Because I hadn't slept properly, my symptoms were worse today, and I had lots of tiny muscle spasms, resulting in a wierd sensation where ur legs feel like a bundle of nervous energy, and you wonder whether u'll just fall over. I had a lot of back pain aswell, right down the centre of my spine. My apathy actually made me late for work, and I forgot to take lunch with me. The day started off real bad, and the shop was busy. (I much prefer it when it's quiet)

A girl walked into the shop, I'm guessing she was about 20, totally out of the blue, obviously feeling out of place, (she didn't 'look' like a christian, if you know what I mean) but nevertheless looking at a Bible on the front table.

She came up to the counter to ask how to use it, so I showed her how to look up chapters and verses, and how to use the index at the front to find which book she wanted, etc. She knew so little about the Bible, she didn't even realise that it contained more than one book.

She asked me if it was ok to sit on the stool in the corner and read it, so sensing something was amiss, said sure why not!

The poor girl sat there for about ten minutes with a frown on her face, avidly reading. It was obvious she'd never really read the bible before. After a while, she asked one of my part-timers, Karen some questions. I couldn't really hear what they were talking about, but as it had quietened down in the shop, I was suddenly waved over by Karen.

It turned out she was brought up catholic, but had been speaking to/been bullied by a JW, who had told her stuff "from the bible" that had confused her. Karen went off to serve a customer, and deftly left me in it!! lol

Then ensued the most wonderful conversation I've had in a long time, when I got to share how God looks at us, starting with John 3:16, going through the "big" story of the bible, talking about God's plan to save us, and how Jesus lived, and proved he was God, telling her the story of the paralyzed man, and Jesus proving he was God by not just healing, but FIRST, forgiving sin. She asked lots of questions, but listened intently as I told her how much God loves each of us, that Jesus was God and he loved us so much he died for us on the cross. I told her about how God looks at us, and quoted how God sees us from the moment we're in our mother's womb, and how the Bible is God's love letter to each of us, and that if we read it, we can find out what God is really like... the conversation went on for a while, and I repeated myself several times saying "don't just take what I've said as the truth, check it against the Bible!".

We had a talk about how you pray, that you can pray anywhere any time, you don't have to do anything like light candles or bow to statues, it's just like talking to your best mate. I eventually ended the conversation and told her if she wanted the bible she could have it for free, as long as she promised me she would read it. You should have seen the smile!!!

We talked briefly about how to read the bible, and I told her to go away and find out for herself what Jesus was like, and how he shows us what God is like, by reading the Gospel of Mark. I told her that she could listen to people, but that she needed to discover Jesus for herself, and read about what he did and said. She looked very happy as she left. I prayed for her as she left, that she would read it. I felt I couldn't talk about God's free gift of grace and then charge her for the Bible!! (incidentally Im paying for it tommorrow!!)

Please pray for her. Her name is Rebecca and I told her if she had questions after reading Mark, to come back. She's a single mum, has a little boy, and I think she's really seeking to find out about God. What made her come into the shop today I can only guess was God, because she didn't look very comfortable until I started talking to her. Her face seemed to light up like a little kids when I told her about God's love, even though she said she didnt think Jesus was God, but she used to believe that as a kid. I hope and pray she comes back.

It was great to get to share about the God that I believe in, and am proud to know, and get to say a little of what He's done in my life. I hope as she reads, God opens up his word to her.

Today made me realise that God can still use me, even when I'm at my lowest!!

I love Jesus, no one loves me like Him.

:-)

1 comment:

  1. That's a really encouraging story JM, thanks for sharing :)

    Sven

    ReplyDelete