Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Long Time No Post.

Yes I'm finally updating it.

To be honest, there hasn't seemed much point until now, till a stray thought of motivation graced my mind today.

It's Wednesday 28th March 2007 at 2:31 pm and I'm sitting here in my room at my desk, eating a cheese toastie and having a coffee, deciding whether I can afford to go to the cinema or not this afternoon.

I'm on my day off and I'm aimlessly spending the day as I always do, on my own.

I've just watched one of the most beautiful films I've seen in a long while, called "The Lake House" with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. It's a very clever, very romantic film, a re-make of an earlier one based on a book called "Patience".

I found myself low as usual after watching it, wanting the romantic fantasy to be a reality in my life, and since watching it, I can't escape the feeling of hopelessness that my life has become. You would think on the day that I took my bank to court over charges totalliing £3800 that I would be slightly more buoyant, but my low mood stems not from chronic debt, (which I'm in) but the death of hope in God, in myself, and in others. I realise this makes me sound like I'm dramtically at tipping point to do myself in, but I'm not that stupid now, I've been there before and it's not worth it.

Rather, it's a deep lonliness that leads to an even deeper sadness within me, I feel it every day that I awake, and every night I go to sleep, this gnawing hoplessness and regret.

Yes it's about a her.

I first met her over three years ago, and we immediately got on. Although there was an age gap, we seemed to connect as friends instantly and laughed at the same things, poked fun at the same people and she became a good friend. On my part there was always a tension, because I found her amazing and liked her for quite a while, but because of the age gap didn't have the courage to follow it up in anything beyond friendship. After she left where I work, (it was temporary) out of the blue she contacted me and I started writing to her as she had recently moved away on a year out.

I wrote to her quite a few times, about my friends (who were still here at the time and hadn't emigrated) about our mutual place of work and colleagues, and how everyone was doing, etc. I wrote about books I was reading, thoughts I had about the future, etc and to some extent let her in to the real me, including my chronic self-image.

In the security of not being face to face I admitted my feelings for her, and amazingly to me, she replied by inviting me down to holiday with her and her parents. Over that weekend, we got a chance to talk and she had been apparently throwing hints that I had not seen. We started going out, and although I was suffering from depression at the time, (I guess I still am actually) there were some of the happiest times of my life.

It had only been a few months, and when I went down for the weekend to visit her again, I picked up the wrong baggage from the coach and spent the week in one set of clothes until the coach company could trace the person whose bag I had, who had mine.

She was very busy in her job, and although I had come down especially for the week to see her, I only saw her a few times, which annoyed me and I reacted like the idiot I am and called it off.

I've regretted that ever since, because if you really want something, you should be prepared to wait for it, and be patient with everything that stands in your way and look for ways to work round it, but I didn't. My own personal impatience stormed through, and I wrecked something I know in my heart of hearts that could have been good.

I've had girlfriends before and after her, and to be honest, none of them were her. I've woken thinking about her on countless occasions and I wish it would go away. This film that I've watched makes me miserable, because it talks about second chances in love, and I wish that that were true in real life.

I know that she didnt want to hear from me, because she wrote me a letter, which I deserved because in the weeks that followed my calling it off, due to desperation at the choice I'd made, I did and said so many stupid things that hurt her.

That was two years ago now, and I still feel dreadful, teribble unresolved feelings coursing through my veins when I think about her. I think about her smile, her eyes, her laugh, and what it was like to kiss her, and I miss those times when we even just giggled together.

My boss knows her mum and dad, and occasionally I get to hear things about how she's doing, and it tears me apart because even if I knew where she lived (which I don't) I know she wouldn't want anything to do with me, and it's been two years. I have bumped into her a couple of times, but there's an awkwardness on my part that must come across as not wanting to be around her, although it's actually because I regret the decision I made, not because I find being around her something horrible.

Lost love is tragic, especially when it was yourself that could have prevented it.

There's a nice post for you.

I feel terrible today.

:(

4 comments:

  1. It certainly sounds like she is your soul mate. You will probably never 'get over' her so I would think it would be best for you to go ahead and eat crow to get her back. The worst has already happened, you can only find closure if things don't go as you would like them to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, JM, my love. The what-ifs in life definitely suck eggs. While I usually don't comment on people's personal lives unless they ask me for my opinion, I'm going to break code with you. I really do think you should try and find this girl again. What's the worst that could happen?

    Yes, she could want nothing to do with you, but on the flip side, she could very well want to try again. Besides, you've grown since then. You're a wonderful, funny, caring man deep down.

    Also, you'll be able to say that you tried, which is far better than going through the rest of your life wondering 'what if.'

    I've been praying for you and I hope you start feeling better soon! I miss teasing the daylights out of you online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should write her a letter. You're a good writer, you express yourself well this way. Even if she's still upset at you, nothing you've said here should make her MORE upset and will most likely make her feel better about what happened. It might make her want to renew your friendship, or it might just give her (and you, for that matter) some closure.

    If I were her, I'd want that letter. I really mean that. Write to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that film as well, and it did the same things to me. I was alone at the cinema trying not to cry. I know how terrible it feels ... especially when the decision rested on you ... I hate that. And the stupid movie turns out okay!! I'm sorry you had such a terrible day. I hope that it's been better lately. Love of love. xx

    ReplyDelete