Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Preparation!!

Well, it's 16 days till my interview for the Manager's job at work, and I pleasantly discovered yesterday that I had two days off this week!! I completely forgot that I had planned in to the rota a lieu day that was I owed next to my day off. So, I have had today off, and tommorow. I've strategically planned that today and tommorrow, I shall be working on notes for myself for the upcoming interview, as the last interview I had, about two years ago, as part of the feedback I was told I gave a very good interview, but because I hadn't mentioned certain things they knew I'd achieved and had exoperience in, they didn't give me the job at the time.

Obviously I'm glad now that that didn't work out, but I want to make sure I don't do the same thing again, so am producing myself some notesto refer to during the interview. i think last time I forgot to say or bring up certain things because I was nervous, so I want to make sure I don't do that again.

I don't plan on reading from it, as that would give a very bad impression from an interviewers point of view, but I intend to use the notes as a kick start to my memory, and in case I lose my train of thought through nervousness. I'm actually looking forward to the interview, as strange as it sounds, because I'm preparing fully for it and I get to tell them what I've learned and about my vision for the future of the shop. It's not often you get the chance to give your vision on your place of work, and such a direct input on where you feel things are going, and so I think it's a good opportunity to shopw them that I think they've underestimated me so far.

I am rfeady for Management and have been for a while, but for some reason they've never seen that potential before, maybe because I hadn't learnt to express myself properly and my ideas.

yesterday I had an informal interview for a new part-time role within the company I'm also being considered for, and it went very very well. the person interviewing me asked me to explain the role that they were considering giving me to her, and in the end she took two pages of notes based on my knowledge of the subject, which I was very pleased about, not because I have an enormous ego, but because she obviously thought my ideas had merit, otherwise she wouldnt have written them down. It showed she was taking me seriously, and that gave me more confidence in putting my ideas forward.

In thinking of the title for this blog "preparation", I've been pondering whether or not God has been working all the things in my life out over the last couple of years to prepare me for this moment in my life. I know that sounds dramatic, and I don't mean it to, but I'm at the point currently were it feels that my life is about to undergo a massive change for the better in terms of personally and work-wise. I'm getting married in August, deep down something that I never thought would happen to me, and I've got the opportunity (if selected) to start a new job, encompassing also two new roles within the shop and within the company, both of which full utilise my gifts and my passions. It seems almost too perfect to be true, and I'm excited to wait and see what God is gonna do in the next few months, both with my life and with Megans.

It's exciting to look back and see all the times I've struggled about being alone, and about feeling powerless in my job, not utilising the gifts I believe I've been given, and then to have this opportunity in work come up with two roles and the chance to stretch myself and realise my potential, and to finally find someone I can be myself with, who accepts me as I am and loves me. It makes me wonder whether all the times I've struggled were to prepare me for this point?

I realise that sounds a bit dramatic, and you're thinking "come on, you haven't got the job yet, and it's only getting married!", but both of these things are going to be life-changing for me, in the sense that they're opportunites for me to grow and develop as a person, and in my relationship with God. I'm amazed God's even given me the opportunity to apply for these roles, even if I don't get them! (obviously I do want them though!)

It's almost as if, for a long time I've believed that my life was just stagnant, not going anywhere, I was doing the same job I always had, feeling the same lonliness and lack of purpose, etc. It feels as if God has turned me round, patted me on the shoulder, pointed to a seemingly beautiful but far-away horizon, and said "...go on, go for it! I know you can!..."

Please pray for me at the moment those of you that do, I feel that I'm on the verge of becoming a different person, and it's an exciting, fretful, worrying, brilliant time!! :D

4 comments:

  1. JM I think it's an exciting time for both you and Megan and be assured that you are both in my prayers. I am sure God has great things instore for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling a bit more prepared and excited about the interview. :)

    And I think we're always becoming a different person ... the problem is always becoming, but never finished! I know what you mean, though. It seems very strange to think of my room in this house as a place I'm staying until I go somewhere else. I've lived in this house practically all my life.

    Anyway. You know I'm praying for your interview. It's not so far off as I thought either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to wing the interview ... good for you. I'm certain you will do fine.

    ReplyDelete