She's reached number 12 in the Urban Idol Competition in Liverpool, if you live here, please go and support her at one of the venues. Also check out her myspace, you can listen to four of the tracks she's produced and written mainly herself. I know she's my sister so I'm bound to be a bit biased, but she's really good!!
I hope she does well. :-)
Monday, September 25, 2006
Scribbled by Jm at 10:24 pm
Sunday, September 24, 2006
I know, I know, long time no blog....
Well we've had an arrival in case you didn't know!!
Life has been fairly hectic recently in our house, as we get used to a new nephew/grandchild/sprog (*delete as appropriate) but not only that, we have other news...
My sister, who produces her own music (see here) is being interviewed this afternoon as part of our local radio station's competition to find new songwriters and artists. They're coming to our house to interview ruth and take some pictures, so we're all frantically running around tidying up lol.
Who knows? I may soon have a mini-celebrity sister!
I hope so, she deserves it, her music's really good.
Scribbled by Jm at 3:30 pm
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Jacob and his Daddy! (my brother David)
Jacob has a little yawn and thinks -
"why won't they just leave me to sleep?!"
Marion (Sarah's mum) who is Jacob's "nana"...
Uncle Andrew (Sarah's brother)
He's gorgeous isn't he! He's with his Uncle Peter here. (my brother)
Look how long he is!!
Uncle Peter! (my brother)
Sucking my finger, bored with the attention now...
This is me, Uncle J.M. with my new nephew!!!
(he fell asleep in my arms, I was the first one to hold him tonight... hehe!)
I'm so overwhelmed, I can't stop looking at him, lol
Little Jacob is beautiful. :-)
Scribbled by Jm at 8:48 pm
It's been a strange week.
You get alot of time to ponder when you have one of those "what am I doing with my life?" moments.
The last two weeks have been great, they've been a chance to think about where I've been the last few years, and to be honest it feels like treading water more than a journey. But maybe that's the wrong perspective.
Is life just there to order us on, us being helpless victims of the unwavering march of time, marching to the ticking of the clock? Sometimes it feels that way, that years go by and you wonder what you've been doing with your life, and can't actually recall anything significant...
Then something happens.
Someone dies, a close friend, a relative, someone asks for your help, a child is born, a sunset is watched, a deep conversation had; suddenly, you realise there's so much more.
Suddenly God breaks in, and even though it feels like you've been treading water, you know you've changed from the person you were, and you're becoming someone else.
You don't know, and the truth is, that's a source of fear and excitement.
Suddenly, the people you meet aren't all the same, they're individuals. The people you regularly talk to become more precious and less taken for granted. Complete strangers aren't strangers anymore, they're fellow people on the journey.
I may not have done much in terms of career or success in my life so far, but I've learnt lots.
Money and possesions can be replaced, people can't.
When you see the tears of joy (and relief!) on your brother's face because he's just become a father, you know there is more to this life than we can see.
I want to be a person who enjoys the journey of knowing God rather than constantly looking toward my destination. I don't have to know what my "purpose" is, I just have to know he loves me.
In the end that's all that matters.
Scribbled by Jm at 7:14 pm
At 10:05 pm tonight, Jacob Andrew Cullen was brought into the world...
It seemed a long time since we'd been called at 6am yesterday morning to say Sarah had started contractions!!!
No pics as I haven't seen him yet, but will hopefully get some tommorrow.
I'm so excited!!!
Scribbled by Jm at 12:31 am
Monday, September 11, 2006
Ok so I'm very tired after a busy week last week, and a busy (but fun!) weekend away...
Just to update very briefly 'cos Im very tired and need to go to bed:
I went to a wedding, disected a previous relationship, pondered sexuality, talked for hours in a pub, laughed out loud on a park and ride bus, told people i was gay at a reception cos i got fed up of questions about my mate (female) and myself, talked about potties and poo and wee, ate lots of food at a church, discovered you can have a platonic relationship and still be very close, learnt about women's views of relationships, read a profound yet totally non-religious book, practiced swearing at drivers even though I was the passenger....
I will update in more detail tommorrow nite when I'm less tired!!
Bye for now!!
Scribbled by Jm at 11:35 pm
Friday, September 01, 2006
(my own recipe)
Bannanna, Honey & Nut Surprise!!
3 teaspoons of smooth peanut butter
3 teaspoons of pure honey
3/4 pint milk
Break the bannannas up into equal chunks, and put into the smoothie machine with the peanut butter and honey and milk. Blend until smooth, and blend on pulse setting for about a minute, to make it really smooth.
Chill & Serve.
(I made this up and it's my favourite so far)
Scribbled by Jm at 12:44 pm
Actually, it's been about a week, but it feels like a long time!
I've been away from the computer screen because I've been busy having fun, which is good! My mate Alice came up to visit last Friday for my birthday on Tuesday, and stayed till Thursday. We used to see each other, i.e. gf/bf, but we broke up a few months ago, but have remained firm friends. We did the following over last weekend, with very little money: (!)
- On Saturday, we went to Southport (a seaside town near where I live) and went shopping. I bought a book (I'll review it when I've finished it!) and Alice bought a few books on gardening, and bought me my second birthday present early! She bought me a "smoothie maker", which if you didn't know is a bit like a blender - you can make milkshakes and fruit juices with it. She'd already bought me a book of "smoothie" recipes. I was well excited 'cos I'm sad like that lol.
- Later on, ('cos it was cheaper!!) we went to the fair (still at Southport) - Alice forced/blackmailed/cajoled me into going on the Traumatizer rollercoaster, (Alice nearly wet herself laughing because I couldn't stand it and closed my eyes most of the way!) then some thing where you're only held in by a metal chain, and the ride goes on it's side, and you can feel the G forces pulling at your face and legs, and THEN we went on a ride where you sit in a "car" with the two of you in, while it rocks back and forth and completely upside down!!! Needless to say, after four rides, because I hadn't eaten anything that day, I felt really really sick and thought I was gonna throw up, so I had to sit down for a while. I was a bit of a wimp to be honest!
- On Sunday we decided to go to the cinema and we went to see Snakes On A Plane, which was AWESOME!!! I loved every minute of it, and I revelled in Samuel L Jackson being the tough guy and kicking all the snakes butts lol. It was only a fifteen, but I thought it should have been classified as an 18, 'cos some parts were like a horror. Alice nearly jumped out of her seat a couple of times, and it was my turn to laugh at her lol
- In the evening, we decided to go to Megabowl, and we chose the unlimited bowling. In the end, we played TEN games of bowling lol!! Alice beat me 7 games to 3, so I was well and truly trounced!! We both ached a bit the next day, needless to say!
- Monday we lazed around during the day,and then watched one of my dvds, Hollow Man in the evening.
- Tuesday I had to go back to work, so Alice chilled out at my house doing what she wanted, and then in the evening, we went for something to eat at the Rocking Horse Pub, which is literally 5 minutes down the road from me. Very nice food, and not expensive.
- Wednesday was my birthday!!! I had to work unfortunately, and in the evening, Alice met me after work, and we went for another meal!! We went to Ask, which is across the road from the shop, and very nice.
- In the evening we watched another dvd, Mulholland Drive, which is meant to be an arty physchological clever thriller, but both of us found it a bit wierd!! A bit like Twin Peaks was... I did think this should have been an 18 not a 15 also. Oh well, at least we can say we've seen it now!!
Alice drove home on Wednesday night, and I'll miss her, it was really nice to catch up and it was cool to not spend my birthday on my own, which I have done for the last couple of years.
Anyway, that's my update, sorry it was so long!!
Scribbled by Jm at 12:38 pm